We are the Patriotic Piecemakers of the OPQG. We strive to remember our military combat veterans with a Quilt of Valor. Officially, we meet on the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 10 am until 4 pm, but you don’t need to attend meetings to be part of our group. You can sew blocks and/or quilts for a deserving veteran and drop them off at the guild. Contact Connie Bradford for more information at 827-0866 or EMTReaper239@att.net.
Patriotic Piecemakers presents quilts twice a year, in June and November. While all patriotic quilts made by OPQG members are donated, the Quilts of Valor donation quilts must meet certain quidelines for presentation to combat veterans. These guidelines come from both the QOV national organization and OPQG Patriotic Piecemakers committee:
- The quilt top should be 62 x 72 inches or slightly larger. A uniform size is desirable for the quilt presentation ceremonies.
- Only cotton fabric, thread, and batting may be used for quilts. Exposure to chemical agents while in service causes some veterans extreme sensitivity to polyester and other synthetics.
- Piecing a quilt that resembles or replicates the American flag is NOT permitted. Fabrics having American flags printed on them are permitted.
- Wash and dry the completed quilt with unscented laundry products to eliminate odors and allergens.
- Labels for Quilts of Valor will be provided for quilts. Please do not apply a label.
- Do not include political or religious themed fabrics or motifs.
Let us keep up the hard work to provide our veterans with a quilt to say “Thank You” for all they give and do so unselfishly.